Tips for Driving in Harsh Winter Conditions
January 28, 2014
Severe weather can be both frightening and dangerous for automobile travel. Motorists should know the safety rules for dealing with winter road emergencies. AAA reminds motorists to be caustious while driving in adverse weather.
AAA recommends the following:
- Avoid driving while fatigued.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze up.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface.
- Always wear your seat belt.
Tips for driving in the snow:
- Accelerate and decelarte slowly. Applying the gas slowly to accelerate is the best method for regaining traction and avoiding skids. Don't try to get moving in a hurry.
- Drive slowly.
- Just stay home. If you don't really need to go out, don't. Even if you can drive well in the snow, not everyone else can. Don't tempt fate: if you don't have somewhere you have to be, watch the snow from indoors.