Does Car Insurance Cover me in a Rental Car?
Most people don’t think to ask whether their car insurance will cover a rental car. After all, why would it? You’re already paying for car insurance, so shouldn’t that be enough?
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. Your car insurance policy might not cover a rental car at all. Or, if it does cover a rental car, it might not provide the same level of coverage as the coverage on the other vehicle insured on the policy. That means you could be left with some serious out-of-pocket expenses if you have an accident in a rental car without proper rental car insurance.
Luckily, the experts at Robinson and Stith in New Bern, North Carolina have the answers regarding car insurance policies when it comes to rental cars.
What to Know About Rental Car Insurance
It can be confusing to try to understand the difference between what is covered by car insurance when it comes to rental cars.. So, what do you need to know about car insurance and rental cars? Here’s a quick rundown:
- Most standard car insurance policies will NOT cover a rental car. You will need to purchase a separate policy, called “rental car insurance,” if you want to be covered.
- Rental car insurance is relatively inexpensive, and it will provide the same level of coverage as your regular car insurance policy.
- You should always check with your car insurance company before renting a car to find out what kind of coverage they offer for rentals.
- If you have a comprehensive plan, you may be able to extend your coverage through to a rental car!
- If your rental car is covered under your regular auto insurance plan, you will likely need to pay a deductible regardless.
Bottom line: if you’re planning on renting a car, make sure you’re fully insured! Otherwise, you could be in for a very unpleasant (and expensive) surprise.
Why Isn’t My Rental Car Covered?
Most car insurance policies will not cover a rental car. There are a few reasons why your car insurance might not cover a rental car:
- Most standard car insurance policies only cover personal vehicles. Rental cars are considered commercial vehicles.
- Your car insurance policy might have exclusions for certain types of accidents or damage. For example, most policies exclude damages caused by negligence or intentional acts.
- If you’re renting a car in a different country, your car insurance might not cover it at all. You would need to purchase a separate policy to be covered.
Therefore, it’s always best to check with your car insurance company before renting a car. That way, you’ll know for sure what is and is not covered by your policy. If you are looking for someone to check over your policy to see if coverage will extend to a rental, contact us here at Robinson and Stith. We will help look through your policy and see exactly what your coverage entails. This way, you will never find yourself in a situation where you must spend a large amount of money to repair a rental car. We will make sure you have the proper coverage!
Do I Need Rental Car Insurance?
Rental car insurance is a separate policy that you can purchase to cover a rental car. It’s relatively inexpensive, and it will provide the same level of coverage as your regular car insurance policy. You can purchase rental car insurance from most major car insurance companies and many rental car companies.
Do you need rental car insurance? It depends on your car insurance policy and the rental car company’s policies. If you have a standard car insurance policy, it probably does not cover rental cars. And if you’re renting a car in a different country, your car insurance definitely will not cover it. In both cases, you would need to purchase a separate policy to be covered.
How to Get Rental Car Insurance
You can purchase rental car insurance from most major car insurance companies and many rental car companies. In fact, you can elect to have the vehicle covered by insurance during the process of renting the vehicle. Again, it is a relatively inexpensive option, so it never hurts to make sure you have the extra coverage. After all, if something goes wrong with the rental, the money you spent on the insurance will be exponentially less expensive than the cost of repairing the vehicle.
Contact Robinson and Stith Today
Are you trying to see if your current auto insurance has coverage for rental cars, or are looking for a new insurance policy that will cover this? Do you live near the New Bern, North Carolina area? If you answered yes to either of these questions, contact us here at Robinson and Stith! While most car insurance policies do not offer coverage for rental cars, we are more than happy to help you find the coverage you need. Fill out the form below or give us a call at your earliest convenience. We look forward to assisting you soon!